Vegetarian & Vegan Foods in the UK

This is a collective source for those of you who wish to find products to help you with your healthy lifestyle.

Vegetarian & Vegan Foods in the UK

Postby Mrs. Canuck Kaur » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Here:
Mrs. Canuck Kaur

Re: Vegetarian & Vegan Foods in the UK

Postby UnknownSingh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:21 pm

There is a big chain of stores called Holland and Barrett, great health shop. You can get absolutely delicous meat alternatives, health supplements, just sort of alternative remedies etc.
UnknownSingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm

UnknownSingh wrote:There is a big chain of stores called Holland and Barrett, great health shop. You can get absolutely delicous meat alternatives, health supplements, just sort of alternative remedies etc.

Indeed you are correct, some of the products listed in the first link are available at H & B.

As I am a lacto-vegetarian (meaning Dairy-Vegetarian), I include 90% of my protein from milk sources, and 10% from wheat and soy.

However, if you are purchasing supplements please PM me for great deals
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Canuck Singh » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Products that are deceivingly not vegetarian:
- UK Skittles: contain e120 which is cochineal (comes from insect)
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Matheen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Canuck Singh, can you get discounted supplements in the UK?
Matheen

Postby Canuck Singh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:56 pm

Matheen wrote:Canuck Singh, can you get discounted supplements in the UK?

yes, but what do you mean?
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Matheen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:10 pm

You wrote in an earlier post:
please contact me for great deals

just wondering if that was only in Canada or for the UK as well? I'm going to start creatine soon......
Matheen

Postby Canuck Singh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Matheen wrote:You wrote in an earlier post:
please contact me for great deals

just wondering if that was only in Canada or for the UK as well? I'm going to start creatine soon......

Oh yes, if you want the cheapest, best tasting, or vegetarian products I know where to get them very cheap I believe....

What are you looking for?
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Matheen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Canuck Singh wrote:What are you looking for?

Creatine and some way to get about 250 -300 grams of protein a day!! Like you, I'm vegetarian and cook for myself.

At the moment, my homemade protein shakes are milk powder mixed into milk with some icecream and fruit for flavour. The rest of diet, depending on time available, is mostly cheese based sandwiches, glasses of milk, pasta, nuts.

So where is your secret source of cheap goodies? :D
Matheen

Postby Canuck Singh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Matheen wrote:
Canuck Singh wrote:What are you looking for?

Creatine and some way to get about 250 -300 grams of protein a day!! Like you, I'm vegetarian and cook for myself.

At the moment, my homemade protein shakes are milk powder mixed into milk with some icecream and fruit for flavour. The rest of diet, depending on time available, is mostly cheese based sandwiches, glasses of milk, pasta, nuts.

So where is your secret source of cheap goodies? :D

Ahh I see,,,

If you are looking for just that, check out

The reason I use them is because I know kindaish the Indian guy who is the owner of the company, and he has sent me many free samples. Also, the best tasting protein, at the cheapest price, with the highest quality ingredients are from there.

use code: BSD17 to get a 5% discount on your first order

Look for the Green Vegetarian symbol next to the product you are ordering. All the proteins are lacto-vegetarian, so should be no problem.

Creapure is the purest creatine available, and is made synthetically from Germany's Degussa.

On the other hand, I highly recommend ordering some dextrose, and tauring to make the creatine mix of dreams.

For protein, milk protein concentrate 80% casein is ideal for bed time, while whey isolate is ideal for workouts, while whey blends are best for other times of the day, whey concentrate (cheapest option) is great for mornings and other times of day.

I recommend the following: Order 1kg of each flavour in the following way...

Morning: Whey Concentrate 25g
Workout: Whey Isolate 50g
1 hour after workout & later in the day: Whey Blend 75g
Bedtime: Milk Protein Concentrate 50g

That gives you 200g/day just from milk protein's. The rest can be made up from diet. Try Holland and Barrett for Vegan foods to help you increase your protein content. THe vegan foods are usually wheat protein, or soy protein. These are ideal for taking with meals, and in the relatively small amounts that come in these foods, they are a good addition to the diet.

Currently, I think I am taking 250+g of protein from shakes a day, while getting 100+g of protein from food

Hope that helps.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Matheen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:20 pm

nice one, many thanks!
Matheen

---------

Return to Diet and Vegetarian Products & Recipes