suggestions encouraged

Discuss here all about strength, the science, and physiology about muscle strength and hypertrophy.

suggestions encouraged

Postby lionheart29 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:50 pm

i just joined the community today... wanted to post my workout routine.. thats if i end up in the gym once or twice n sometimes even three times a week..

i'm 23.. weigh around 150 lbs.. ectomorph... lacto-vegetarian

i hav a two main workout 'plans'

Chest and bicep plan (yes for a lack of terms)..

I normally don't warm up... not cuz i don think its important.. i just feel that i run outta energy once i do that.. but i guess thats wt i hav to work on..
Chest -
Bench (assuming the bar itself is 40-45lbs.. i was just reading they're lighter in the UK..which is where i am rite now..so ya):
1x10 - 10 kg + bar
1x10 - 15 kg + bar
1x10 - 20 kg + bar

Pec fly:
1x10 - 30 kg
1x10 - 40 kg
1x10 - 45 kg

chest press machine:
1x10 - 30 kg
1x10 - 40 kg
1x10 - 45 kg

if i still hav any energy left after this.. i go on to cables... do a set of 10-15 reps with 15-20 kg

Bicep -
barbell curls:
don't knw how heavy the bar is..
1x10 - 20 kg
1x10 - 25 kg
1x10 - 30 kg

dumbell curls:
1x10 - 10 kg
1x10 - 14 kg
1x10 - 14 kg

curls on the cables:
1x10 - 15 kg
1x10 - 17 kg
1x10 - 20 kg

thats abt it for that...

The other plan is.. back and triceps
I don't really use free weights for my back... can't really find anything in the gym that i can use.. but i guess i could use suggestions...

Triceps -
dumbell:
1x10 - 15 kg
1x10 - 15 kg
1x10 - 20 kg

cable:
1x10 - 12 kg
1x10 - 15 kg
1x10 - 15 kg

my triceps are weak so i mostly can't do any more than that...

Thats my two plans.. occasionally i workout my legs on a few machines...

About my diet.. umm... i don't take any supplements... i'm vegetarian... the days i workout.. i will drink pea protein smoothies... 3 a day.. abt 100 g of protein a day i guess ?

so ya... go ahead.. rip up my plans ..i wanna see some constructive criticism ppl.. :).. thanks
lionheart29

Re: suggestions encouraged

Postby Canuck Singh » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:44 pm

i just joined the community today... wanted to post my workout routine.. thats if i end up in the gym once or twice n sometimes even three times a week..
Once again welcome, and oh yes, If I did not mention already you have found the place to be. With members in the US, Canada, UK, India, Singapore, Australia, this forum is only beginning to grow.

i'm 23.. weigh around 150 lbs.. ectomorph... lacto-vegetarian

It seems like we have lots of work to do, but don't worry the only way from here is up up up.

I normally don't warm up... not cuz i don think its important.. i just feel that i run outta energy once i do that.. but i guess thats wt i hav to work on..

This is a huge mistake, and I have to ask you to consider your workout nutrition which may be lacking significantly. If you have been training the last 4 years without proper nutrition, (and by your comments it appears so), you are setting yourself up for chronic illness, chronic fatigue syndrome, and much worse. No wonder you have not seen results in 4 years. What you eat is what you are. The minerals in your body come from all over the world, from the foods you eat!

Chest -
Bench (assuming the bar itself is 40-45lbs.. i was just reading they're lighter in the UK..which is where i am rite now..so ya):
The bar in the UK is 15kg = 33 lbs. the Regular olympic bar is 20kg = 44lbs technically, while the weight bar in many North American gyms are 22.3kg = 45lbs.

if i still hav any energy left after this.. i go on to cables... do a set of 10-15 reps with 15-20 kg

Hmm... as a med student, who must have some understanding of human biochemistry, what do you think happens to the body when you dont have 'any energy left'? Biochemically your immune system is taxed, your energy reserves are depleted, and hormones are leveled out. Your body goes from a state of growth to a state of catabolism really fast.

The other plan is.. back and triceps
I don't really use free weights for my back... can't really find anything in the gym that i can use.. but i guess i could use suggestions...
There are tonnes of exercise, but we need to work from step one right now. What I recommend is starting a journal in the journal section, and we can work from there.

my triceps are weak so i mostly can't do any more than that...

Again concerns regarding nutrition are up front here, no energy = no muscle glycogen to supply muscles with energy needed to maintain contraction, while sarcoplasmic concentrations of calcium and Na+ and K+ are thrown out of whack. We need to consider your diet here big tyme.

About my diet.. umm... i don't take any supplements... i'm vegetarian... the days i workout.. i will drink pea protein smoothies... 3 a day.. abt 100 g of protein a day i guess ?
What sort of foods do you eat, what sort of foods are you willing to eat? Are you a lacto-vegetarian? Or a Vegan?

Dont worry about criticisms, this site was set up to help people just like you. To be able to train naturally, and with special diets, to make best of all those hard sweated hours in the gym. Naturally there is no greater source on the web for information about building good quality muscle, strength, and building an immune system that will keep you healthy for a lifetime.

Again welcome :D
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby lionheart29 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:23 am

ya i've only been here abt 7 months.. so i dun really knw anyone... but yes if i do decide to visit leeds.. i'll b sure to give u a holler...

i hav midterms from oct. 13-17.. so i'm thinking i'll start after that with a journal n all.. i don't knw the first thing abt writing a workout journal.. i looked at a few so we'll c how it goes.. if u got any pointers..do tell... abt the workout plan.. thers no real plan... i'm planning on getting some help from here in actually structuring a real one...

i looked at one of the links u hav posted here that seems somewhat close to wher i stand...

Doug, you weigh 125 pounds. You need to, how shall I say this, eat. We have certain "rules," if you will:

1. Eat breakfast

2. Eat three meals a day, at least

3. Eat protein at every meal

4. Consume fiber at every meal

5. Take your fish oil capsules

And, yes, Doug, you need to take a protein supplement. Why? Because, you're going to be changing your strength training...

so i'm thinking i'll take out the fish oil.. i'm lacto-vegetarian as i mentioned before... i don eat that well when i'm here... bak home i'll mostly hav roti evryday.. n its mostly quite nutritious.. but here not so much.. its mostly wholewheat pasta...wholegrain rice.. beans... tacos...noodles...bean burgers (my delicious discovery in the UK..haha..we don hav those in north america).. hashbrowns.. pizza... really w/e seems easier evryday... i don hav that much time to cook meals evryday... i do cook 3-4 meals a week.. i'll make fried rice with tofu.. but ya thats abt as healthy as it gets...other i mostly hav two sandwiches or a bowl of cereal for breakfast... mostly eat atleast 3 meals a day.. i hav a really fast metabolism so i'm mostly eating alot but not healthy of course..

the workout plan they hav on that website is as follows:

Day One

Back Squat: 5 sets of 5 to warm up

Front Squat: 5 sets of 2 with a weight you can handle

Pull-ups: one set to max

Bench Press: 1-2 sets of 8

Curls: 1-2 sets of 8

An abdominal exercise, your choice, to finish

Day Two

Back Squats: 1-2 sets of 8

Front Squats: 1-2 sets of 2

Pull-ups: 5 sets of "as many"

Bench Press: 1-2 sets of 8

Curls: 1-2 sets of 8

An abdominal exercise, your choice, for a nice set (not easy, but not hard)

Day Three

Back Squats: 1-2 sets of 8

Front Squats: 1-2 sets of 2

Pull-ups: 1-2 sets of half your max

Bench Press: 5 sets of 5

Curls: 5 sets of 12

An abdominal exercise to finish

i've barely done free-weights.. i think thats a big mistake..I've never done squats before.. to tell u the truth i'm scared <clean> that the weight is gonna drop on my <beauty> n i'm gonna b sitting ther while ppl are laughing ther <down> off ..lol. .but ya.. we'll c i guess..

add wt u think needs to b added or taken out... then i'll put together a 'journal' i guess :s ...
lionheart29

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Ummm... I don't recall posting that to anyone named Doug.

But if you are a lacto-veg, Flax Seed Oil is the equivalent source of OMega-3s that can be consumed.

I am unsure what you wish to do in this sense, but it is highly recommended that you move to free weights if you want to see the best results. Perhaps get a personal trainer session from your gym if they offer a free session or 2, to go through it with you.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby lionheart29 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm

i meant that it was from one of the links that u hav posted under types of training...

Strong Eye for the Weak Guy-

that was just a mock plan they had for there imaginary bud "Doug"... sorry i shoulda been clear...

flax seed oil.. interesting...

don get me rong... i'm gonna try to move on to free weights.. not saying i won't.. just saying that i haven't in the past... but as i've learnt that is the best way... the universals just don't push ur muscles hard nuff... thanks for the advice
lionheart29

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:46 pm

Oh ic. That was a thread my friend had sent me, I don't normally use external sites for the information on this site, as per the confusion created. It is for reference.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

---------

Return to Strength Hypertrophy Muscle & Mass