Sikh Sports Kara

Web links to the best Sikh websites on the web. Include a link to your blog or personal space, as well feel free to add interesting Sikh related web pages here.

Sikh Sports Kara

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:13 pm

My Kara is a symbol of my faith and my strength as a Sikh. I wear it with pride and perform with honour. Without it, I feel incomplete. Many sports, activities and even some occupations require us to remove the Kara for health and safety reasons. I understand this, but always feel I am removing part of my identity when I do so. This is why I created the "Sports Kara". Like many Sikhs, it's made of very strong stuff. It is designed to be durable, lightweight, very flexible and aerodynamic, yet it can withstand huge impacts, extreme temperatures and conditions.

Like a Sikhs spirit, it is virtually indestructible.

My Sports Kara makes a statement about me: I'm a Sikh and I'm here to win..

"Therra ke kendtha? (What does yours say?)"

Gurdave Ricky Singh Shabilla
Founder & Creator of the "Sports Kara"

The "Sports Kara" is a temporary representation of the Kara. Designed to be safer and more comfortable than its iron, steel and gold big brothers, during sports and some occupations.

Many people can't wear a Kara for medical reasons. Rashes are common due to the body's reaction to metals. The "Sports Kara" is toxicity tested in the UK to ensure it is safe against the skin.

There have been a number of cases in recent years where Sikhs have been forced to remove the Kara or faced punishments like exclusion from school, forfeiting games of football and even disciplinary action from their employer. This is harsh and unfair, however the argument is that it's for health and safety reasons.

We at feel we have the right to keep our identity in all that we do. The "Sports Kara" brings faith & religion, safety & comfort together for the first time in over 300 years.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Return to News & Sikh Sites & Associations