Nah to stretching before training

Every other type of training here, including stretching, different training styles.

Nah to stretching before training

Postby Canuck Singh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:45 am

In every gym I visit, I still see guys and gals stretching like crazy before they attack their weights. Don’t these people know that they’re sabotaging their training?

A lot of studies have now confirmed that passive stretching before high intensity muscle contraction will reduce the ability to produce maximum force. Additionally, it’s also been confirmed that stretching before exercise is not linked to a reduced risk of muscle injury. So stretching before training won’t protect you from tearing a muscle. Stretching is an important component for building strength and improving athletic performance as it increases/maintains range of motion of the joints. However, stretching should be left until after the hard work is done.

The best warm-up for weight training exercise is to perform lighter sets of the exercise before you begin the heavy stuff. But remember, don’t perform too many reps; this will result in premature fatigue that short-circuits your capacity to lift your heaviest weights. ts.

Source: Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, 36, 2004.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Re: Nah to stretching before training

Postby hsingh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:13 am

Interesting, I find that stretching before my workout loosens up my muscles.

I am especially concerned about my shoulders as they had started to hurt a while back. On shoulder days, I do a basic warmup exercise (spread arms out to sides then make circles with hands) before starting. My first set I always start with light 35lb dumbbell shoulder press for warmup. This has worked quite good for me, shoulders don't hurt during workouts :D
hsingh

Re: Nah to stretching before training

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 am

hsingh wrote:Interesting, I find that stretching before my workout loosens up my muscles.

I am especially concerned about my shoulders as they had started to hurt a while back. On shoulder days, I do a basic warmup exercise (spread arms out to sides then make circles with hands) before starting. My first set I always start with light 35lb dumbbell shoulder press for warmup. This has worked quite good for me, shoulders don't hurt during workouts :D

I think what you are describing Ji, is Dynamic Warm up stretching,

rather than what the article speaks about, that is, Static Stretching

Continue Dynamic Warm ups ;-)
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

---------

Return to Fitness Training - Flexibility Plyometrics & MMA