MMA

Every other type of training here, including stretching, different training styles.

MMA

Postby Balbir Singh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Gurfatehji Bhaji

Need some advice on which supplements are more suited for my type of training.

Im 25, weigh 13.5 stone, about 5 ft 9 inches (too much fat around the stomach and back side at the moment!)

Diet- morning toast, lunch sandwiches, pasta after work, sabji (dal/rajma/aloo chaney/soya/saag etc) with 2/3 rotia in the evening

Basically, I train (well try to train) about 4/5 times a week for MMA type of fighting. I don't compete, I just do it to become a better fighter on the streets..if needed of course..not for no reason. One of my main goals is to build stamina and loose weight (fat not muscle). My workouts vary but consist of bodyweight exercises, not weights yet, for example burpees, squat thrusts, push ups, sit ups, sprints, skipping, dips etc alot of heavy bag work, pad work and sparring.

I feel fatigued alot of the time, tend to pick up injuries and sprains in my muscles (lower back) as well as joints (top of my foot - the part you kick a football with) every now and then. Just wanted to know what protein supplement i should take, also whether creatine would be any good to help with fatigue, muscle soreness/sprain etc. I went on the website you recommend ().

Bit confused on which one to go for, also looking for cheapest option, concentrate? isolate? etc Just another point, why has he stated the protein shakes are suitable for kosher/halal? Are they ok for us Gursikhs to have?

I know you probably need to know how i train in detail but too lazy to put a journal in yet.

Anyway, just needed some advice from someone who knows what they're on about. im looking to order some protein by weeekend, so need some guidance as soon as possible please.

Akaal Sahai
Balbir Singh

Re: MMA

Postby Canuck Singh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:05 am

:fateh

Need some advice on which supplements are more suited for my type of training.

Im 25, weigh 13.5 stone, about 5 ft 9 inches (too much fat around the stomach and back side at the moment!)
Welcome to the forum, hope you find what you are looking for and stick around

Diet- morning toast, lunch sandwiches, pasta after work, sabji (dal/rajma/aloo chaney/soya/saag etc) with 2/3 rotia in the evening
One thing I iterate often is this. The diet choices we make each and every day is the building blocks of the person we are going to be 2-4 weeks from now. We are what we eat. Today, we are eating very much unlike the diets of our ancestors.
- Toast: Ask yourself is it whole grains, brown bread - if not it should be
- Lunch sandwiches: is it mostly cheese, is it low fat, with veggies?
- Pasta: again, is it wholemeal, mostly tomatoe? if not it would benefit to be as such
- When it comes to Roti my Advice is almost always this: LOTS of healthy veggie full sabji, 1 large thin roti to clean it up.
- I think there is very little variety in the diet. That 5 servings of fruit and 5 servings of veggies per day... That is probably one of the most sound pieces of advice that have ever been created. I am serious. Check this link for some food ideas: healthy-snacks-food-ideas-t555.html

Basically, I train (well try to train) about 4/5 times a week for MMA type of fighting. I don't compete, I just do it to become a better fighter on the streets..if needed of course..not for no reason. One of my main goals is to build stamina and loose weight (fat not muscle). My workouts vary but consist of bodyweight exercises, not weights yet, for example burpees, squat thrusts, push ups, sit ups, sprints, skipping, dips etc alot of heavy bag work, pad work and sparring.
That sounds good. I have done Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, and Gatka based self defense myself. Maybe you can share what you do.

I feel fatigued alot of the time, tend to pick up injuries and sprains in my muscles (lower back) as well as joints (top of my foot - the part you kick a football with) every now and then. Just wanted to know what protein supplement i should take, also whether creatine would be any good to help with fatigue, muscle soreness/sprain etc. I went on the website you recommend ().
hmm... Do you use anything to give you energy for your training? In regards to any type of training Protein would be the minimum to add. Creatine would benefit you, but is most effective when weight training. Will it provide more energy during high intensity punching/kicking? Yes.
This is what I would do:
- Whey protein + Creatine + Juice 500-600mL sip on 200mL before training, and sip the rest throughout, and you will never have problems with energy again.

Bit confused on which one to go for, also looking for cheapest option, concentrate? isolate? etc Just another point, why has he stated the protein shakes are suitable for kosher/halal? Are they ok for us Gursikhs to have?
Concentrate is fine, unless you are lactose intolerant. Cheaper the better.
The reason it states kosher/halal is because the 2 respective groups are very Strict with their diets unlike us Sikhs. However, this in reality is just a blessing in disguise. If you search Kosher on this site, I wrote a post about it. Basically it lets people know that there is No meat or meat byproducts that are in the finished product that would otherwise discredit the product from having the label. So basically if it says Kosher/halal/vegetarian that means its Lacto (Milk)- Vegetarian product that has no meat or meat by-products in it. If you have any questions email Kunal Patal about it. I know another Singh has already contacted him about this, and I think he said it was fine. But email if you want a clearer explanation than I gave.

I know you probably need to know how i train in detail but too lazy to put a journal in yet.
Tis okay :winks:

Feel free to ask whatever you like, even If I gave unclear responses. Dig it out of me till you are happy with the response. :thumbsup:
:fateh
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Balbir Singh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 pm

Cheers Singh!

Just to answer a few of your questions:

Yes it is brown bread. I dont have cheese, I have soya slices in my sandwiches with cucumber.

I have fruit at lunch with sandwiches. Also salad with roti in the evening. Wholemeal pasta? never knew it existed, will have to look into that.

I dont have any energy drink, just water while i train.

My training consists of me trying to mimick a real encounter as much as possible. I practice striking and grappling.

I will post more stuff in detail when i get time. My style of fighting is taken from a guy called Geoff Thompson, type his name in youtube to see.
Balbir Singh

Postby Balbir Singh » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Just thought i'd post what some of my workouts consist of, starting off with yesterdays training.

Yesterdays Workout:

3 Rounds of Skipping
3 100m Sprints
4 Rounds Heavy Bag = 1) Jab
2) Right Cross
3) Jab, Right Cross
4) Right Cross (Pre-emptive from conversation range)
3 Rounds Sparring (Restricted to Jab, Cross)
Plyometric Press-ups
Balbir Singh

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:22 pm

3 Rounds of Skipping
3 100m Sprints
4 Rounds Heavy Bag = 1) Jab
2) Right Cross
3) Jab, Right Cross
4) Right Cross (Pre-emptive from conversation range)
3 Rounds Sparring (Restricted to Jab, Cross)
Plyometric Press-ups

Awesome :showoff

You will have to post videos or pics or something, and train us :winks:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby mmafitness » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:28 am

How do i start getting into mma?

I currently want to get into mma and do cagefights. I wrestle in highschool currently so i have a little expierience there. im fifteen. So how do proceed in becoming a fighter? I'm also a girl, that factor kinda poses a problem for where i can learn how to do mma. Can anybody give me some tips or advice? Thanks.

mma fitness

mmafitness

Postby barkrichards » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm

MMA uses handles similar to the Deal with Night business, with hand techniques and shoes worked by making activities with the right analogue keep. For those not relaxed playing with an analogue follow place a impact, a conventional option structure is available as an substitute, but the result seems a bit confusing and far less sleek.
barkrichards

---------

Return to Fitness Training - Flexibility Plyometrics & MMA