Lose fat while trying to maintain muscle mass

Put up your training journal here

Lose fat while trying to maintain muscle mass

Postby Gagan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:04 am

Hi,

Been reading other members journals which really inspired me. I have been training since march, main reason was to lose weight on a big scale. But like most struggled to get grips with cardio so i started to lift weight found myself getting really involved and motivated. I actually look forward to going to the gym.

This is what my routine consists of. I train 4 -5 times a week. I train late when the gyms almost empty 9.30 - 11.30pm

This is what i did yesterday:

Shoulders/Traps

Arnold Dumbbell Press

12 - 16 x 22Kgs (Per DB - Warm up)
7 x 36kgs
6 x 42kgs
4 x 46kgs

Barbell Military Press

8 x 60kg
8 x 80kg
6 x 100kg
3 x 110kg

Smith machine Incline Shoulder Raise

8 x 80kg
6 x 100kg
4 x 120kg

Smith Machine Behind The Neck Press (not to keen on this exercise)

12 x 30kg
10 x 40kg
10 x 60kg

Side and Front Lateral Raise (Super Set) - Depending on how i feel i may skip these, or try to squeeze least a few out.

8 x 16kg
8 x 20kg
6 x 22kg
2 -3 x 26kg

il try squeeze in 15 - 25 mins of cross trainer at the end.

Supplements :

Pre workout : BSN No - Xplode & Nitrix

During workout : Controlled Labs - purple Warth

Post workout : BSN Cell mass (looking to move to Celltech)
Sci - mx - pure protein - 70g protein and Cytosport Monster milk - 50g Protein.

During the day i try to drink around 100 - 150g of protein. I am looking to start taking Garkic and Lurkic but still reading up.

my goal for 2009 is to lower body fat, therefore i have introduced cardio each session to 15mins which am hoping to increase to 45mins each session. Only concern is i will lose alot of muscle mass, so to try and find the middle ground is very difficult any advice would be great.

So far my training routine is based on advice i have gathered from trainers at the gym and the net.
Gagan

Re: Lose fat while trying to maintain muscle mass

Postby Canuck Singh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 pm

By golly, you are one big strong fella,

Pre workout : BSN No - Xplode & Nitrix

During workout : Controlled Labs - purple Warth

Post workout : BSN Cell mass (looking to move to Celltech)
Sci - mx - pure protein - 70g protein and Cytosport Monster milk - 50g Protein.

You must be burning wads of cash on this stuff! :o

During the day i try to drink around 100 - 150g of protein. I am looking to start taking Garkic and Lurkic but still reading up.

Sounds good, but there are cheaper, better supps out there than those 2

my goal for 2009 is to lower body fat, therefore i have introduced cardio each session to 15mins which am hoping to increase to 45mins each session. Only concern is i will lose alot of muscle mass, so to try and find the middle ground is very difficult any advice would be great.

the longer your cardio sessions roll on, the more likely the body will feed from whole body lean mass for amino's.
I wouldn't recommend training for longer than 30minutes of cardio
Depending on your current weight, it would depend on what is the best method to proceed with. What machines/form of cardio do you do now?

Good stuff
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Gagan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Thank you for your reply veer.

I currently use cross trainer (ski machine) and if am really in the mood il try to do 10mins on the row at a semi fast constant pace. Am trying to lose weight around my belly and upper thighs, over the months i have seen more definition on my shoulders as the fat as shredded away. But this year i really want to shift the rest and look to bulk up more towards the end of summer 2009. I find it really hard to find a good middle ground where i can lose fat and maintain muscle mass. In the ideal world i should be eating a lot more, so i can gain more muscle mass but the fear is it will just be stored and it doesnt fit with my goal. So i could either carry on with what iv been doing, eat moderate amounts and increase mass or introduce cardio, lose some more (faster) body fat.

I am 6ft4
Weight : around 135kg

Veer, what supplements would you recommend ? Which would be inline with my goals. Also am currently off work so would it be beneficial for me to add a session of cardio in the morning.

Iv managed to get the supplements at a cheaper rate, as i import BSN nitrix, no xplode, cellmass from the states (when the pound was stronger) use to work out half the price.
Protein has been much harder as it contains animal extracts which cannot be imported to the UK. So iv been able to buy in bulk from a local health store at just over cost price.
Gagan

Postby Canuck Singh » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:59 pm

I currently use cross trainer (ski machine) and if am really in the mood il try to do 10mins on the row at a semi fast constant pace. Am trying to lose weight around my belly and upper thighs, over the months i have seen more definition on my shoulders as the fat as shredded away.

Just a few points, one can not really spot reduce fat. Whatever is the way your genetics dictate you hold on to mass will be the way in which it is shred. One of the best things you can do is to move the most body parts as possible during cardio to elevate your heart rate. But ultimate what burns fat is intensity, and the resultant EPOC, or post exercise oxygen consumption, which is directly responsible for oxidizing fat (not when you actually sweat and grind out the cario session - but in the hours after the cardio session). Most person trainers will make you falsely believe that walking or some low intensity activity burns more fat. In fact that is only partially true. During the activity of walking your body uses fat stores preferentially for burning fuel, while during sprinting your body uses carbohydrates or stored glycogen ATP-CP system. However, sprinters to my knowledge are leaner and hold more muscle than endurance athletes. The reason being they burn more fat in the hours after training!

But this year i really want to shift the rest and look to bulk up more towards the end of summer 2009. I find it really hard to find a good middle ground where i can lose fat and maintain muscle mass. In the ideal world i should be eating a lot more, so i can gain more muscle mass but the fear is it will just be stored and it doesnt fit with my goal. So i could either carry on with what iv been doing, eat moderate amounts and increase mass or introduce cardio, lose some more (faster) body fat.
I believe the way you are doing things now is right on track on how you should continue. If you train 4-5 days a week with weights, begin by adding 1 or 2 days of cardio and maintain your diet. What will happen if done consistently and with increased effort each session your body will have an elevated resting metabolism. This is what will burn the fat, while maintaining muscle. Longer sessions of 45 minutes will not allow you to do this. Compound this with drinking More water, and spreading meals over the day an you will also increase themogenesis.

I am 6ft4
Weight : around 135kg
Wow! You could be Leicester's strong man

Veer, what supplements would you recommend ? Which would be inline with my goals. Also am currently off work so would it be beneficial for me to add a session of cardio in the morning.
Try not going over the top by adding too much cardio too soon. You will find more benefit by easing into cardio, as both cardio and intense training take their toll on the immune system. I would highly recommend the following:...

Iv managed to get the supplements at a cheaper rate, as i import BSN nitrix, no xplode, cellmass from the states (when the pound was stronger) use to work out half the price.
Protein has been much harder as it contains animal extracts which cannot be imported to the UK. So iv been able to buy in bulk from a local health store at just over cost price.

Ahhh ic. International.

I think you would be much better off getting from this supplier in the UK:
In replace of Nitrix, or Noxplode

And this rather than cellmass:

I don't believe that esterified creatines are effective, and it depends on what ultimately works out cheaper for you.

And adding some Green Tea: to your regimine to enhance fat burning potential

You can use BSD17 to get a discount off your order, and you can pass on any queries to Kunel Patel the owner, who I have conversed with many times.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Gagan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Just got back from the gym, was a very poor training session. My spotting partner pulled a muscle (didnt warm up correctly) so he was moaning all the way through! :cry:

Chest / Tri's

Dumbbell Bench Press (Kg per DB)

14 x 26kg
8 x 50kg
8 x 50kg
8 x 50kg
6 x 50kg

Normally id start off with bench press but the steroid cru were working out late and were trying to out do each other on the bench press. so opted for db press did extra sets to really get a good workout. Gym db only go up to 50's. I would normally strap on some wrist weights but the gym was to busy. (dont want to be show-boating)

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

7 x 50kg
6 x 50kg
8 x 46kg
4 x 46kg

Decline Smith Bench Press

6 x 100
6 x 110
4 x 120

Machine Flys

5 x 52.5kgs
5 x 52.5kgs

Triceps Pushdown

12 x 48.5kgs

Thats all !!! No cardio!

Supplements :

Pre workout : BSN NO - xplode and Nitrix

During : Controlled Lads - purple Wraath in one litre water.

Post Workout : BSN Cell mass. / Sci MX - Pure Protein 3 x 50ml approx 100g protein mixed with skimmed milk.

I normally consume around a litre of water during the night.

Tomorrow is a rest day, so i might do some light cardio in the morning.
Gagan

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 am

You should consider taking a place on the Saskatchewan Roughriders alongside Navraj Bassi, you would knock the competition out

50kg's are some of the biggest DB's you can get in the UK

The ones in my old gym in vancouver go up to 68kg

Some strongmen and rubgy players in the Uk are known to have their own special 60 and 70kg DBs.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Gagan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Yeah sadly they dont stock 50+, the only gym near me that stock db up to 70kg is loughborough university gym. which is a good 30min drive. Still thinking over the idea, if its worth the hour travel each day, guess it depends on how bad i really want it. The benefits would be good, you can only increase intensity so much without increasing weight. I tend to be able to over see the mental barrier that most gym goes suffer from, i am constantly increasing weight on all my exercises. Even if i can only squeeze the one rep, make sure its clean and next time i will try two reps. Till i get to around 4 reps il increase the weight again.

We have a 50/50 challenge at the gym next week, might sign up to it. Endurance isn't my strong point, but worth ago. il post some pictures if i attend.

Think am a bit too old to be roughing it up with American football players. also i cant run to save my life lol. Wouldn't mind learning some mma.

No log today, suffering for the sniffles, so taking a rest day (no cardio either).
Gagan

Postby Gagan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 am

No training for the last few days, come down with the flu. Still feeling rough, hoping to get back in the gym either friday or saturday.
Gagan

Postby Gagan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Really suffered from the flu last week, started back at the gym yesterday.

Light training full body workout, still feel very weak.

Went back today increased weights, full body workout. Going to start taking supplements again as of tonight.

Didnt take any supplements due to flu medication. Think it will take a week to get back to semi full strength. Still feeling very weak and achy. I will increase food in take for the next few days to help recovery process

and hopefully back to the normal in the next week.

Missed 50/50 challenge on Sunday seems like no one got the full 50 reps. Closes was 43. (Prize was £20 voucher for Next and one months free membership). What a shame think i could have had it in the bag, never mind maybe next time.

only good thing from being ill, noticed a loss in weight, think it might be muscle mass and some fat (lived off crunchy nut and warm milk all last week lol)
Gagan

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:00 am

I feel like a frikin <edit> with my 70 lb dumbell bench presses :-x lol
How long have you both been weight lifting for?
Putt_Punjabi

Postby hsingh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:43 am

Putt_Punjabi wrote:I feel like a frikin <edit> with my 70 lb dumbell bench presses :-x lol

I know eh !!! I thought I was strong lifting incline benching 70 lbs dumbell lol These guys are nuts !
hsingh

Postby Gagan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:43 am

Bruv's iv been training on and off for a few years, only seriously got back into it march 2008, so its going to be almost a year.

I started off at the bottom and worked my way up, believe alot of people fall at the first hurdle which is the mental barrier. Dont cut yourself short, always look to increase your weights.

I remember when i first started off i could just about do the 12kg dumbell presses, but i stuck with it and just increased weights even if it was just two reps.

Its all about constantly pushing yourself.
Gagan

Postby Gagan » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Back in the flow, at last!! Really missed going to the gym.

Incline Dumbbell Press

12 x 26kg
8 x 46kg
6 x 50kg
6 x 50kg

Dumbbell Press

8 x 50kg
8 x 50kg
6 x 50kg

Flys

12 x 28kg
8 x 34kg
8 x 34kg

Bench Press

12 x 100kg
8 x 120kg
4 x 150kg

Close Grip Bench Press

12 x 60kg
9 x 70kg
6 x 90kg

15mins Cardio xTrainer

Supplements

During and Post Workout : Muscletech - Celltech & Purple Wraath.

During the day been trying to drink Green Tea, dont like the taste might go for the pills! :S

Cytosport - Monster Milk - around 150g of protein.
Gagan

Postby Canuck Singh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm

Back in the flow, at last!!

As if nothing has changed eh.

:aw:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Gagan » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:37 am

Apologies iv not updated my log. I was away in Iraq, dont ask it was way tooo hot, iv lost loads of weight muscle and ; fat (well i hope )

Iv tried to do as much training as possible and stay hydrated. The weights/ equipment was limited. But iv progressed on Man Makers, can almost do two sets of 12 reps. Going to give it a few days get climatised to the UK again and really hit the gym hard. Iv got Six weeks before am due in the states.
Gagan

---------

Next

Return to Training Journals