Leg Exercises....

Discuss here all about strength, the science, and physiology about muscle strength and hypertrophy.

Leg Exercises....

Postby Jasdeep Singh » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:00 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I had a question about the leg exercises that I do. The only ones that I do are the Leg extension:

Leg Curls:

and Calf Raises with this machine, except the seat is stationary and the foot part goes up and down:

I wanted to know if those 3 exercises were enough for my legs. I dont do squats because I dont want to mess up my form and get any injuries.

Thanks for the help.
Jasdeep Singh

Re: Leg Exercises....

Postby Matheen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Veer Ji,
Canuck Singh will probably give a more detailed answer, but from my experience, the only way to effectively increase leg strength is by squatting and deadlifting heavy. The leg press is also good.

What are your concerns about squatting - is it just that you're not sure of technique? Let me look for some videos that demonstrate good form.......

Here, his form is ok:
Matheen

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:42 am

I dont do squats because I dont want to mess up my form and get any injuries.

Hello, thanks for the pictures it makes things easier!

If you are just beginning, there is no reason why you can not start off with machines. This will slowly develop your strength, but as Matheen mentioned, the squat and leg press are much more effective.

HOWEVER, as you mentioned these are complex exercises that require experience and good training technique to benefit from.

If you have a chance of getting a free personal training session at your gym, ask them to show you the basic squat.

What I also want to state is that, research shows no negative impact from squatting. It is a most beneficial exercise. Yet, if performed in an unsafe manner (as most gym goers do) it can lead to chronic injury, or significant acute ones.

For this reason, what I recommend is taking it from step 1:

This is step 1 of transitioning to the King of all exercises

Get a bar, and practice slow squat movements in front of a mirror. When I say slow I mean count 10 to go down, and go up to the point that you DO NOT lock out your knees

Step 2:

Get into a power rack:

And place the bars that go into the peg holes at about chest height

Place some weight, and begin to do the movement of squat for that 3 inches from the bar to just before locking out your knees

Step 3: Move bar down 1 peg hole per week until you reach a place where you are comfortable squatting.

NOTE: Do this in front a mirror if possible. AT NO POINT DURING THE MOVEMENT SHOULD YOUR LOWER SPINE FLEx. Do not go all the way to the ground if your **** does not stay out during the whole movement. I mean this seriously, at no point should your lower spine be pulled out of a slightly extended position.

Tell me what you think
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Jasdeep Singh » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to start doing the leg press, and start off with just the bar for the squat.

I have one more question. In which order should I do the leg exercises? Should I do the squat and press before the leg curls and extension?
Jasdeep Singh

Postby Canuck Singh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:39 am

Jasdeep Singh wrote:I have one more question. In which order should I do the leg exercises? Should I do the squat and press before the leg curls and extension?

Hanji Jasdeep Singh Veer,

Great to hear the feedback. I would recommend the following. Begin with the bar (practice really), and complete >10 reps slow and controlled, making sure to observe your form. Then do leg press and add weights, while maintaining form. Then continue with the others how you have been. 8-)
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Houston6 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 am

Hello Guys...
which is your favorite game in cricket ??
share you'r opinion 8-)
Houston6

Postby barkrichards » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:33 pm

There are lots of machines available for leg exercises. Apart from that I believe that jogging is the best exercise and cycling too. I daily do jogging in the morning and it keeps me fit and fine.
barkrichards

Postby Monty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Well these are good exercises for your leg strength and increasing the stamina but there are few other exercise which are very effective for legs or thighs.
You should go for cycling that is a complete leg workout and one of the finest exercise for legs,and you should try swimming also these are very useful for legs and especially swimming for your overall body muscles.
Monty

Postby adronsteave » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 am

You shares nice topic here but In my personal view heel raise on a step extending your heels below the edge of the step with each repetition and another good leg exercise is cycling which gives good result to strengthen your leg.
adronsteave

Postby Malton » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

Hey guys,According to me that all the exercises are the best for health and physically fitness.
Different exercises are the best for legs exercises but mostly i like these legs exercises swimming,
cycling,running and jogging....
Malton

Postby SteveAllen » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Recently my fitness trainer told me about hybrid bikes, He told me that it is best way to make strong your legs and its many beneficial for fitness,i agree with him and looking for , If anyone knows here about it then also comment here.
SteveAllen

Postby Anderson Rome » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:29 am

There are so many exercises for legs like running, jogging, cycling, jumping rope and walking all are best exercises for legs. These exercises make legs strong and healthy. I also like to do these exercises and suggest everyone to try these leg exercises.
Anderson Rome

Postby elfinruler » Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am

Hey Guys if you want to make your legs strong and get cuts then there are some GYM exercise for legs like:

ZERCHER SQUAT
BULGARIAN SPLIT SQUAT
GLUTE-HAM RAISE

elfinruler

---------

Return to Strength Hypertrophy Muscle & Mass