Jvala Singhs Journal

Put up your training journal here

Jvala Singhs Journal

Postby jvalasingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:48 am

Hey there, I know its been a long time, but yes I am back (formerly Jsingh96)

Current weight: 165 lbs

Goal: 185 by May

This is my new goal. I want to increase in strength and size. Along with weights I will be doing some Indian exercises, called Sanjam Kriya, which is a type of Yoga used for martial artists. Exercises include stretching, various types of baitaks (indian squats), and other exercises. This is mainly to increase flexibility, especially in my groin which is not that flexiable, and in upper body. It's also for cardio and endurance in my legs. I want to do this every second day regardless if I am doing weights or not.

Weight schedule:

Day 1: Shoulders/Triceps
Day 2: Back = deadlifts, bent over rows, etc, Biceps
Day 3: Legs and Abs

*I don't want to be doing too much chest, my chest has been really getting less flexible lately the more and more I do chest, I think i'll add it in slowly slowly once I start gaining in other regards. My chest is bigger/stronger than any other muscle group for me as in highschool the only working out I did was squats and bench, for a good year or two. I'm going to relax on it just for now and then slowly add it in.

Workout Dec 22 - Day 1? Shoulders and Triceps

Exercise 1 - I'm not sure what to call this, but what I do is, Deadlift to Clean and then Shoulder press

Exercise 1 - 85x8, 95x6, 96x4, 85x8, 85x6

Exercise 2 Dips - bodyweightx8, weighted with 25lbsx8, 25lbsx8, 25x6

Exercise 3 Close Grip bench - 95x8, 95x7, 95x6

btw, this is not really my day 1, because I have been doing my other exercises for cardio for the past few days as well. But today was the first proper day of weights !

It begins ! :D
jvalasingh

Re: Jvala Singhs Journal

Postby jageerdar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:00 am

Your routine looks pretty bad. You are better off doing heavy compound based exercises for 5 reps than what you've planned there.

Try this:

A: squat, bench, deadlift
B: squat, press, rows

alternate between A and B in successive workouts. Do all workouts for 3 sets of 5 reps, except deadlifts which only need 1 set. Warmup sets are essential, working up to your workset.
jageerdar

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 am

Looks good Jvala, you have to do what meets your goals and what you want to improve in.

Keep posting, good to see some more action back on the forum.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:44 pm

JavalaSingh, use this video to stretch the chest:

That is a wicked stretch for the pecs, my chest was horribly tight as well at one point. It helped a lot, improved my posture as well. When you get into the position, your elbows should touch the ground, if they don't you have tightness in your pecs. Hold for 2 minutes, you can use 2lb dumb bells to increase the stretch. Good luck!
hsingh

Postby jvalasingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:45 pm

jageerdar,

My routine does include squats, deadlifts, rows, press, etc, even cleans. The majority of the exercises are compound exercises. When I start going solid the rep range im going to aim for is around 6. First week going to keep it lighter and aim for 8-10.
jvalasingh

Postby jageerdar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:47 pm

jvala can you post what your program looks like then? Set and rep scheme, exercises and sequencing of them?
jageerdar

Postby jvalasingh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:15 am

Shoulders Triceps
- Clean and Press
- Dips
- Close Grip Bench

Back - Biceps
- Deadlifts
- Bent over Rows
- Lat pull downs
- Shrugs
- Barbell curls

Legs - Abs
- Squats
- ab exercises with weight

Most exercises will be aimed at 6 reps.
jvalasingh

Postby jageerdar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:51 am

jvalasingh wrote:Shoulders Triceps
- Clean and Press
- Dips
- Close Grip Bench

Back - Biceps
- Deadlifts
- Bent over Rows
- Lat pull downs
- Shrugs
- Barbell curls

Legs - Abs
- Squats
- ab exercises with weight

Most exercises will be aimed at 6 reps.

Doesn't look very promising dude. You're only squatting once a week? only benching once a week?? No standing press?? Curls and shrugs?? You dont even need to do those. lat pull downs are a useless exercise, chins and pullups are far superior -- but even so, this looks like not enough work to cause adaptation, you wont be gaining much strength or weight on this program. It looks like something a lazy person would do, between reading a magazine on the treadmill and watching tv..

I know you will say 'but i do clean and press', but a weight heavy enough to clean will not be a weight you can press, unless you do a push press-- which is not a press. if you're cleaning light weight then it's not really a useful clean exercise except in so much as to allow you to press. you're then effectively doing press singles, not a set of presses.
jageerdar

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:15 pm

How about if you do Shoulders and back, biceps and triceps and legs + chest!? I know the leg + chest will be hard but since you only workout 3 days, that is one thing you can do. Also, you might want to introduce front squats and biceps curls and tricep pulldowns?

Give it a try and see if you like it.

PP
Putt_Punjabi

Postby jageerdar » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:39 am

Did you take our advice and run? lol
jageerdar

Postby hsingh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Did you take our advice and run? lol
:lols: I'm sure he's around, he not the one to quit ! :thumbsup:
hsingh

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm

I love the name.. lol jvala singh.. thats like a crazy wwe name.
Putt_Punjabi

Postby Yodha » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Are you the same jvalasingh as sikh-reality? :shock:
Yodha

---------

Return to Training Journals