hSingh's Training Journal

Put up your training journal here

Re: hSingh's Training Journal

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 pm

veerji, I know we are all friends here but you might want to delete your name off of those pictures.

PP
Putt_Punjabi

Postby hsingh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:30 pm

veerji, I know we are all friends here but you might want to delete your name off of those pictures.
Done, thanks for the heads up, I never thought of that.

How is your training going?
hsingh

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:46 am

Happens to the best of us. Training is going ok, it's getting hard to hit the gym because of work and school. Anyways.. going to hit bench press tommorow.. gonan try to beat my max >.< Wish me luck!
PP
Putt_Punjabi

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

hsingh where u at these days?

putt is back

other members gone a while are jsingh, gagan, matheen, all regulars being missed. I think I have to up the advertising again
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, I am suppose to be working with the trainer 2-3 times/week to work on the muscle imbalances and reprogram the motor units. However, it hasn't been consistent at all; this is the 3rd week and we have only managed 1 session. Poor guy got in an accident the first week and now he's gone for this entire week on personal leave...not good. I will go talk to someone at the gym today to see what my options are, if no other trainer can be temporarily assigned for me, then I will try to train by myself this week. I would like to get in the sessions as I only have 3 months to complete 24 of them.

I still visit the forum on a regular basis, and do a little exercise from time to time, just have not logged anything. I will start updating the journal once I get consistent with training again. Thinking of getting into cross fit type workouts now as I can't lift heavy anymore.
hsingh

Postby hsingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Tuesday December 23, 2009
@ 7:20pm for 60 minutes

1. (arse to grass) Squat
warmup: 45x12, 95x8, 105x5
135x11, 135x10x3

2. BW pull ups + BW push ups
7 + 25, 5 + 18, 4 + 16

3. Bent Over Single Arm Dumbbell Row + BW Dips
60x10x3 + x6x3

4. The (shoulder) Press
45x8, 65x5 (gave up, no energy left)

Review: Something is wrong with me! I run out of energy halfway through my workout, so much that my vision is effected. It is very strange, when I used to do heavy lifting, this never happened. Only change in my diet has been that I have done away with protein shakes for the past 3 weeks or so (Canuck Singh, i sent you a PM regarding this). Workout has been changed from focus on strength training (heavy weight low reps) to maximum muscle hypertrophy (10-12 reps). I am at a loss as to why I run out of energy part way through the workout.

Strength has also gotten effected quite a bit, likely due to stopping the protein shakes. 25 pushups used to be a walk in the park, bw dips 6 reps used to be easy peasy.

Edit: Left knee gave some discomfort during the squat, have to remember to stretch the hamstring.
Last edited by hsingh on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Review: Something is wrong with me! I run out of energy halfway through my workout, so much that my vision is effected. It is very strange, when I used to do heavy lifting, this never happened. Only change in my diet has been that I have done away with protein shakes for the past 3 weeks or so (Canuck Singh, i sent you a PM regarding this). Workout has been changed from focus on strength training (heavy weight low reps) to maximum muscle hypertrophy (10-12 reps). I am at a loss as to why I run out of energy part way through the workout.

Strength has also gotten effected quite a bit, likely due to stopping the protein shakes. 25 pushups used to be a walk in the park, bw dips 6 reps used to be easy peasy.

Welcome back

sometimes we win some, sometimes lose some.

When it comes to superman energy levels, they are hard to come by. You have to sometimes base your workout based on your energy levels. For example, the last time I did front squats I struggled, I knew my energy wasn't 100% and I knew I couldn't push for new numbers. So I switched up a bit and added in partial wide stance squats from dead stop. These were easy as they were supported and shorter range.

Sometimes if we live by the log book --> tada! we die by the log book. Our workouts will suck, and to instill any ounce of herculean strength into a workout requires a tad bit more thinking out of the box.

So rather than having done dumbells, I would have switched to a machine where you can still retain some strength without sacrificing the muscle group completely and abolishing your energy levels.

The little changes work long term big time. For example, I injured my chest a few weeks ago on a decline chest machine, dropped that, and it still hurts, but I managed to bench 275 yesterday no problem, and no exacerbation of pain.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 pm

I see what you are saying, but this has been happening for over a month. I start out okay, good energy levels, but they seem to just diminish in under 30 minutes. I had good energy for the squat, after that the levels soon went down and I noticed that my heart rate would stay elevated for longer, wouldn't come down much.

Strength loss is almost expected as I have cut down on protein intake, not overly concerned about that tbh.
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:06 pm

hsingh wrote:I see what you are saying, but this has been happening for over a month. I start out okay, good energy levels, but they seem to just diminish in under 30 minutes. I had good energy for the squat, after that the levels soon went down and I noticed that my heart rate would stay elevated for longer, wouldn't come down much.

Strength loss is almost expected as I have cut down on protein intake, not overly concerned about that tbh.

It may very well be nutrition related.

You have seen gatorade drinks being chugged during marathons, football games, hockey games, basketball games, without this extra energy during intense activity the body will crash and begin to feed off the bodily energy reserves. One can do this during endurance training because the body goes into a metabolic shift, feeding off aerobic energy over the long term. But during intense short term activity, if your reserves are done, you will feel it.

Do you take pre workout nutrition?
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Do you take pre workout nutrition?
It has stayed the same for almost a year now. I have a small bowl of yogurt about 1hr before the workout. Now I also have about 15g of protein shake with milk 15-20mins before starting the workout.

Nutrition wise, not much has changed really, except the lack of protein shakes on non-workout days. I don't just get tired (that is expected) it gets so bad that I just want to fall asleep right in the gym lol

PS chat is not working still...
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:10 pm

PS chat is not working still...

Chat is down for good at the moment as the forum is running a lot smoother.

Do you drink cha/coffee to get you going? Do you take a suitable multivitamin during the day, especially the days you train?

Are you getting enough sleep?

There are various factors that influence energy levels during training. You have to figure out when you are most energetic and least energetic, and consider the variables that influence each. :check:

Then you can determine what is effecting your energy levels specifically.

As I mentioned previously, I used to have days that energy would drop to zero during a workout and I would either have to drag it out or get a head ache that would make me want to hork or stop all together. I also realize that caffeine withdrawal is a major issue I never before considered.

SO now I have to carefully regulate my carbohydrate intake before, during, and after training, while keeping a close eye on the exact amount of caffeine that gets in me each day. Apart from the unusual sleepy off day, I have never had issues with energy levels during workouts, and neither has my training partner.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby jageerdar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 pm

it sounds like you're not eating enough. Add 500-1000 calories and see what happens. IF you're going to keep calories low consider getting some kind of preworkout energy drink. I like iced coffee for this, plenty of simple carbs and caffeine. Does the job quite well.
jageerdar

Postby hsingh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Do you drink cha/coffee to get you going? Do you take a suitable multivitamin during the day, especially the days you train? Are you getting enough sleep?
I usually don't ever drink tea or coffee (or pop). I am regularly taking Progressive Multivitamin for Active Men (Usage recommends 3 pills/day but I'm having 1). Getting between 6.5 - 7 hours of sleep a night.

SO now I have to carefully regulate my carbohydrate intake before, during, and after training, while keeping a close eye on the exact amount of caffeine that gets in me each day. Apart from the unusual sleepy off day, I have never had issues with energy levels during workouts, and neither has my training partner.
Singh jee, to regular carb intake before, during, and after training is a lot of work lol I've never had issues with energy levels since I started training heavy January of this year, it's strange. The only thing I can think of that is that I am still recovering from the flu that I got beginning of November...Although if that is true it's worrisome in it's own.

Another thing is I have not trained on a regular basis for a couple of months so that could be part of the problem. But still, I am doing lighter weights now, so it shouldn't feel this way. It feel like my blood pressure gets low -> head feels light, vision is kinda strange; but my heart is pumping! Just doesn't add up.

it sounds like you're not eating enough. Add 500-1000 calories and see what happens.
I am eating more than I was previously but I can try adding a few more calories (will load up that bowl of daal more) to see if that helps.

Thank you all for responses thus far. Since gym will be closed on Friday (Christmas) I plan to train on Saturday, let's see how it goes; will surely log it.
hsingh

Postby Putt_Punjabi » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Kiddah HSingh?

How many meals do you eat in a day? Hopefully atleast 5-6. Like you mentioned, it could be one of the following things;

- Nutrition
- Flu
- Getting back in the gym, your body is getting use to it

So, take it easy. Don't worry. Eat more, rest as much as possible and lift safely.

Take care,

PP
Putt_Punjabi

Postby hsingh » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Saturday December 26, 2009
@ 11:20am for 60 minutes

1. Full Squat
warmup: bwx12, 45x10, 95x8
135x10x4

2. Hammer Strength Lat Pull Down + BW push ups (hands on upside down bosu ball)
90x10 + n/a, (140x10 + x20)x2, 140x10 + x15

3. Romanian Deadlift + Shoulder Press
warmup: 45x10 + 45x10, 95x10 + n/a
(135x8 + 75x8) x4

Review: New gym, energy levels were good :D The hammer strength lat pull down machines has be loaded with weights for each side, i will be using this quite a bit rather than doing chinups/pullups to try and bring the weaker left side equal to the right in strength.
hsingh

---------

PreviousNext

Return to Training Journals