Postby hsingh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 am

Ah what the heck ! I'll do it too :D

All weights in pounds

Monday, Jan 12 2009: Chest

1. Flat dumbell press:
1st set - 50 each side (warmup) - 10 reps
2nd set - 60 each side - 10 reps
3rd set - 70 each side - 8 reps
4th set - 80 each side - 4 reps (5 ish I suppose, needed quite a bit of spot on the last one)
5th set - Drop Set: 80 lbs x 4; 50 lbs x 4; 35 lbs x 8

2. Incline dumbell press:
4 sets with 50 each side: reps = 10, 10, 8, 6
5th set - Drop Set: 50 x 5; 25 x 10

3. Incline dumbell flies:
4 sets with 25 each side: reps = 6 on each set. I'm really weak in this :(

I did another exercise, I don't know its name. It's like an easier version of dips done with cable flies. You start with your hands by your sides then try to bring them up in front of your forehead.
4 sets with 20 each side: ~ 6 reps

PS. I'm going to be getting a small weighing scale, want to start measuring how much I eat. Once I have that, I will also be putting here what I eat on a daily basis
hsingh

Re: hSingh's Training Journal

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:49 am

Join the club :D

Now that wasn't too bad was it?

Cable High Flies if anything is the movement, or Underhand Cable Flies where you bring the hands together by pulling the cable from lower to before the face. :?:

Flies are not a movement where you want to place a lot of weight, as the extra leverage puts extra strain on the tendons. Stick to slow and controlled movements for muscle control with that exercise if anything.

Now, just stick too it, set some goals and beat the numbers each time, You will be very impressed with the results when you look back in a couple of months.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:39 am

Wednesday Jan 14, 2009: Legs

All weights in pounds. I stick to very basics with legs.

1. Free weight bar squats
1st set - (warmup) empty bar - 10 reps
2nd set - 25 each side - 10 reps
3rd set - 45 each side - 10 reps
4th set - 55 each side - 8 reps (almost fell on the 4th rep :| )
5th set - 65 each side - 5 reps

Last set was a drop set on the "hack squat" machine. No breaks in this one
100 each side - 5 reps
50 each side - 5 reps
25 each side - 5 reps
just body weight - 15 reps

2. Lying Leg Curls
I wanted to do stiff legged dead lifts for my hamstrings, but partner didn't want to do it. Maybe next time.
1st set - (warm up) - 40 with 10 reps
2nd set - 50 with 10 reps
3rd set - 60 with 10 reps
4th set - 80 with 8 reps
5th set - Drop set:
- 80 with 5 reps
- 60 with 5 reps
- 40 with 8 reps
- 30 with 12 reps

3. Sitting Calf Raises
I took it easy on the calves for now as I never used to do them. Next week I will up the weight.
4 sets @ 70 sticking to 8 to 10 reps per set. Last set was 15 reps

It was a good workout. After doing quads I felt like I was going to pass out lol
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 am

(almost fell on the 4th rep :| )

:o

3. Sitting Calf Raises
I took it easy on the calves for now as I never used to do them. Next week I will up the weight.
4 sets @ 70 sticking to 8 to 10 reps per set. Last set was 15 reps

When doing Calf work, make sure to stretch soon afterward. You can just leave your feet in the machine and let the weight push your calves down. This is absolutely necessary because westerners often have very poor flexibility

It was a good workout. After doing quads I felt like I was going to pass out lol

Awesome
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:20 pm

Thursday, Jan 15: Back

All weights in pounds

1. Chin ups (palms facing each other, grip was shoulder width) Just used my own body weight
1st set - 9 reps
2nd set - 8 reps
3rd set - 6.5 reps lol
4th set - 4 reps

2. Machine rows
1st set - (warmup) 45 each side - 10 reps
2nd set - 70 each side x 8
3rd set - 70 each side x 7
4th set - 70 each side x 5
5th set - (mini drop set) - 70x5 + 45x6

3. Lat Pull downs with a bar, wide grip
1st set - 100 x 10
2nd set - 112.5 x 10
3rd set - 125 x 7
4th set - (mini drop set) - 125x5 + 100x5

4. Elevated Cable Rows
1st set - 100 x 10
2nd set - 112.5 x 10
3rd set - 125 x 6
4th set - (drop set) 125 x 6 + 100 x 6 + 75 x 6

All in all, a mediocre workout as I was missing my training partner. Also, when I do back, my forearms simply die halfway through :S On Lat pull downs, I couldn't grip the bar to complete my set, it would just slip out of my hands :S
hsingh

Postby hsingh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:21 am

Jan 16 was suppose to be a shoulder workout. But I pulled my left calf during leg workout on 14. It is in bad shape today, I have been basically walking on 1 leg, so I decided not to hit the gym. Last thing I want to do is re-injure it and be out for a week or more. Hopefully tomorrow it will be walkable and I will be able to go kill my arms :D
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 pm

I'd take it easy,
you might think things are okay the next time, find that your calf doesn't want to do what you're telling it to, and suffer great trouble and lead to a cycle of frustration

take it easy and warm up the calves properly, even if you are not training them directly so that they can support you properly :thumbsup:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:56 am

Saturday, Jan 17: Arms (biceps + triceps)

Started around 8:00 Pm
Duration: 1.5 hours

All weight in pounds

Bear with me this time, as I do not know names of all the exercises. I will try to explain each motion

1. Bicep dumbell curls (warmup) 20 x 2

2. Use cable, sit on incline bench facing the cable. Use a V shaped extension, pull weight toward your chest, keeping elbows in
1st set: 100 x 10
2nd set: 150 x 10
3rd set: 150 x 7
4th set: 150 x 5

3. Tricep Pull-downs (standing) + Tricep Pull-downs (overheard, kneeling forward)
1st set: 100 x 10 + 100 x 10
2nd set: 120 x 10 + 120 x 6
3rd set: 130 x 8 + 100 X 8
4th set: 140 x 6 + 100 x 6

4. Preacher Curls
1st set: 25 each side x 8
2nd set: 25 each side x 8
3rd set: x 6
4th set: x 5

5. Dips (body weight) + Bicep curls + Bicep Curls (reverse grip) + Overhead tricep extension
1st set: 10 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 8
2nd set: 10 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 8
3rd set: 8 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 6 + 50 x 6
4th set: 6 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 8 + 50 x 12

I good workout today. I will be feeling my biceps for the next 3 days I think as I do not work them much :roll:
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 am

Bear with me this time, as I do not know names of all the exercises. I will try to explain each motion
:lols:

2. Use cable, sit on incline bench facing the cable. Use a V shaped extension, pull weight toward your chest, keeping elbows in
How about "Incline Vbar Pull Downs"?

Think Position:Attachment:Movement + Variation
e.g. Incline : DB : Press, half reps for Chest
or Standing : bw (body weight) : calf raises, 5s stretch at bottom
or lying : ankle weight : leg raises, 5s hold off ground
This way it all makes sense and is systematic to read

I good workout today. I will be feeling my biceps for the next 3 days I think as I do not work them much :roll:

The rest made sense, except it looks like a Whole lot of volume... there is about 24 total sets, with at least 12 for biceps and 12 for triceps...
:book: if we recall: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=539

Then in essence we are already deviating from these principles. I can only assume that the overload (the weight) is relatively low so that you can accomplish the sets with ease.

What are you intending to accomplish with this set up? :swrd1:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 am

Canuck Singh wrote:
How about "Incline Vbar Pull Downs"?
Wouldn't "Incline Vbar Pull Ups" make more sense?

The rest made sense, except it looks like a Whole lot of volume... there is about 24 total sets, with at least 12 for biceps and 12 for triceps...
:book: if we recall: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=539
Then in essence we are already deviating from these principles. I can only assume that the overload (the weight) is relatively low so that you can accomplish the sets with ease.
I agree, there's too much volume for the small arm muscles. I'm in the process of trying to convince my training partner that we should finish our workouts with in 1 hour, it's taken a good 1.5 hours consistently. Weight has been fairly high for me, as I am unable to do even 8 reps in a lot of cases.

What are you intending to accomplish with this set up? :swrd1:
Well I am aiming to gain size (everywhere) before I hit my fat loss program.

This session was not planned too good, I just did whatever my training partner wanted to do more or less. Hopefully next time we'll do a shorter but more effective workout.
hsingh

Postby hsingh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:14 am

Monday, Jan 19: Chest

Started at 8:00 pm
Duration: 1 hr 15 mins

All weight in pounds

1. Incline dumbell press
1st set: 50 each side x 8
2nd set: 60 each side x 8
3rd set: 70 each side x 5
4th set: 80 each side x 5
5th set: 85 each side x 4
6th set: (drop set) 90 each side x 2 (barely, I would count that as 1) + 60 each side x 4 + 45 each side x 4

2. Flat dumbell press ( I got a very nice chest squeeze here, loved it !!!)
1st set: 50 each side x 10
2nd set: 50 each side x 10
3rd set: 50 each side x 8
4th set: 50 each side x 7
5th set: 50 each side x 6

3. Decline cable cross overs ( you bring cables from bottom toward top)
4 sets at 25 each side at 7 to 10 reps each set

4. Cable cross overs ( chest facing the floor at an angle)
1st set: 50 each side x 6
2nd set: 45 each side x 10
3rd set: 45 each side x 8
4th set: 50 each side x 7
5th set: (drop set) 50 each side x 6 + 45 each side x 12

A good workout, first time I have attempted to incline press 90 lbs dumbells, didn't go as well as I wanted though. 1st rep was okay, but 2nd was forced, too much spot. I didn't like that. I will aim to do 2 reps on 90 lbs with minimal spot next time.

One thing I have noticed since I started doing heavy weights is that my shoulders (the front part) seems to fall apart very fast. They don't hurt but I can feel them sort of going "nope this is not going to work" lol I'm not sure why that is, it can't be THAT weak, can it? !! I was thinking that with heavy weights I may be sacrificing form, there by putting more stress on shoulders than my chest. But the problem is, I don't know how to verify that.
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 pm

( I got a very nice chest squeeze here, loved it !!!)
:point:

A good workout, first time I have attempted to incline press 90 lbs dumbells, didn't go as well as I wanted though. 1st rep was okay, but 2nd was forced, too much spot. I didn't like that. I will aim to do 2 reps on 90 lbs with minimal spot next time.
hmm,... it is very risky to be completing singles or doubles with dumbbells. The muscular control that is necessary to balance the weights is usually not present as the balancing muscles are not able to control the excessive force can lead to major issues. I would just like to point that out here. :waat:

One thing I have noticed since I started doing heavy weights is that my shoulders (the front part) seems to fall apart very fast. They don't hurt but I can feel them sort of going "nope this is not going to work" lol I'm not sure why that is, it can't be THAT weak, can it? !! I was thinking that with heavy weights I may be sacrificing form, there by putting more stress on shoulders than my chest. But the problem is, I don't know how to verify that.
[/quote]
Yes it is that weak. You are probably beginning to suffer from muscle imbalances. Your stabilising muscles are probably not doing the job that needs to be done. Here are a few questions for you:
- do you balance our chest work with back work?
- do you warm up effectively
- is your form biomechanically efficient (i say efficient, because your individual physiology and functional mechanics will dictate which form is optimum for you)
- do you experience Pain?
- alternatively, do you hear clicking or feel your shoulder pop (even slightly) out of the joint?
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby hsingh » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Canuck Singh wrote: hmm,... it is very risky to be completing singles or doubles with dumbbells. The muscular control that is necessary to balance the weights is usually not present as the balancing muscles are not able to control the excessive force can lead to major issues. I would just like to point that out here. :waat:
Point noted :thumbsup:

- do you balance our chest work with back work?
Always

do you warm up effectively
I do some dynamic warmups for shoulders and start off with a lighter weight

- is your form biomechanically efficient (i say efficient, because your individual physiology and functional mechanics will dictate which form is optimum for you)
I'm not sure what you mean by this. I know my forearms are weak because when I do back, I am unable to hold the bar properly after a while.

- do you experience Pain?
Since I started doing the dynamic shoulder warmups, they don't hurt during the exercise. But I did notice yesterday that every time I put the dumbell back on the top rack, it hurt a little, at the front part :|

- alternatively, do you hear clicking or feel your shoulder pop (even slightly) out of the joint?
Hasn't happened yet. But, in the past sometimes I used to feel a little (clump of muscle) move in my left shoulder as I would press up. It seems to have gone away now though.

I am thinking doing some rotator cuff strengthening exercises regularly, I think that would help make those balancing muscles stronger. I have one of those resistant elastic bands at home.
hsingh

Postby hsingh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:15 am

Tuesday, Jan 20: Back

Started at 8:00 pm
Duration: 1 hr 10 mins

All weights in pounds

1. Pull Ups (palms facing each other)
10 + 7 + 5 + 4

2. I have no clue what this is called. See attachment for a picture :mrgreen:
45 x 10
90 x 8
135 x 6
135 x 5 + 90 x 5 + 45 x 10

3. Wide Grip Lat pull downs with bar (focused on form here mostly)
100 x 10
125 x 8
112.5 x 8
112.5 x 8
100 x 12

4. Close Grip Elevated Cable Rows
100 x 10
125 x 8
125 x 8
125 x 10 + 100 x 5 + 75 x 6

I hate doing back, my grip is so bloody weak !!! :( My back can do more, but I just can't hold on to the bar anymore :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:18 pm

1. Pull Ups (palms facing each other)

Umm.. hammer grip pull ups?

2. I have no clue what this is called. See attachment for a picture :mrgreen:

:lols: haven't seen one of those in years, nice gym is that where you train? That would be a lever bent over row

I hate doing back, my grip is so bloody weak !!! :( My back can do more, but I just can't hold on to the bar anymore
Maybe time to bring out some straps. You can do seperate grip work to enhance grip strength, but when it comes to hitting the targetted muscle with muscular overload, without straps you are just under working the muscles. :book:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

---------

Next

Return to Training Journals