Honey

All about Nutrients, Nutrigenomics, and Food Science!

Honey

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:07 pm

A Research study recently presented at the annual National Strength and Conditioning Association meeting strongly suggests that combining honey with a protein supplement after training may boost post-workout recuperation and favor better blood sugar maintenance after exercise.

Protein supplements are widely used to increase one's intake of dietary protein. Protein need increases among individuals engaged in intense activities such as weight training, running, step aerobics and many competitive sports. Previous studies have shown that a combination of carbohydrates and protein supplement has been shown in to boost muscle energy recuperation and may favor better response to training. "We were pleased to find that powdered honey promoted favorable changes in post-exercise markers of metabolism equal to that of the current standard, maltodextrin," says Dr. Richard Kreider, lead investigator of the study and Director of the Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory at the University of Memphis. "We also found that the group receiving honey as the carbohydrate source did not display the typical drop in blood sugar 60 minutes after taking the other forms of carbohydrates. These findings support our previous study on honey."

The current study involved a group of 39 weight-trained athletes both male and female. Subjects underwent an intensive weight-lifting workout and then immediately consumed a protein supplement blended with sugar, maltodextrin, or honey as the carbohydrate source. Only the honey group maintained optimal blood sugar levels throughout the two hours following the workout. Additionally, subjects taking honey showed favorable changes in a hormone ratio that indicates a positive muscle recuperative state. "Our data suggest that honey functions well in all of the aspects associated with post-workout recuperation and energy repletion. In addition, honey appears to stand out as perhaps even a better source of carbohydrate to ingest with post-workout protein supplements," added Dr. Kreider. "In addition to promoting muscle recuperation and glycogen (carbohydrates stored in muscle) restoration, honey-protein combinations also seem well suited to sustain favorable blood sugar concentrations after training."

What's in honey that imparts these important effects? How would honey work as a transporter for creatine? These are some questions that could further the research into this area of increasing the results you get with weight training.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Re: Honey

Postby hsingh » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Hmm powered honey, why didn't I think of that !!! :o

I have a big box of liquid honey sitting at my house, problem is, during winter months it becomes semi-solid lol So I can not just mix it in my protein shake. Any ideas? other than melting it first but I suspect when I put it in my juice, it'll freeze again and get clumpy!!!
hsingh

Postby hsingh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:29 pm

After looking around for a while, I have not been able to find powdered honey anywhere. Can I order it online?
hsingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:23 am

I have some, I'll look it up and see if I can find where it can be sourced :thumbsup:
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Archere » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:21 am

Hi,
This milk and honey formula is used before by japanese wrestlers and very common in other cultures....
It helps to boost the energy level in human body...
Archere

Postby Alton11 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:48 am

Honey is no doubt a great food.Used as cure for several diseases including intense itching in the eyes.I have a firm believe that this research is soon being going to be approved.
The only issue with the honey is that it is not available in the pure form in the market.
Alton11

Postby Abel » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:13 am

Hey...
Here are some benefits of honey for health.....
1 Though honey has more calories than sugar, honey when consumed with warm water helps in digesting the fat stored in your body. Similarly honey and lemon juice and honey and cinnamon help in reducing weight.
2 Honey can soothe and encourage the healing of sores in the mouth or <soft>.
3 A bowl of oats porridge with a spoonful of honey will calm the nerve. Ideal to be taken before an exam.
4 Honey is a great moisturizer and can be used on the skin as a natural revitalizing mask
5 Natural honey causes a lower rise in blood sugar than that of refined sugars in people with Type 2 diabetes.
6 Recent research has shown that honey is an excellent ergogenic aid and helps in boosting the performance of athletes. Honey facilitates in maintaining blood sugar levels, muscle recuperation and glycogen restoration after a workout.
7 Honey and cinnamon for Curing Arthritis. A paste should be made from one part honey and two parts of luke warm water added with a small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. This paste should be massaged on the itching part of the body and the pain should recede within fifteen minutes in most cases.
8 For stomach ulcers, gastritis and sore throats, 1-2 teaspoons on an empty stomach (½ hour before meals), 1-4 times a day to assist in healing and provide pain relief.
9 Honey works well on chapped lips and for acne because it has antibacterial properties.
10 Honey also makes a great moisturizing pack. Just mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons of whole milk, smooth over the face and throat, and let it do its job for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and finish splashing with cold water
Abel

---------

Return to Nutrition & Food Sciences