Grip strength

Discuss here all about strength, the science, and physiology about muscle strength and hypertrophy.

Grip strength

Postby Matheen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Any ideas for developing grip strength? Especially for deadlifts etc - hate using straps..........
Matheen

Re: Grip strength

Postby jsingh96 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:27 pm

good question, im reaching the point where straps are necessary, im at 255lbs, and my back feels fine but its my grip that limits my reps

obviously the solution is using straps, but wudnt that stop the progress of your forearm strength?

2-3 very experienced lifters advised me never to use straps, and let my body grow equally all around.
jsingh96

Postby AmardeepSingh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:43 pm

don't know about deadlifts but am told these grippers by ironmind are supposed to work really well. They're much more effective than normal grippers.
AmardeepSingh

Postby Matheen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Captains of Crush are awesome, but 'squeezing grip' doesn't translate to deadlifts etc. I've been reading up and apparently a good way to increase grip strength is by doing one arm deadlifts using a barbell or doing some grip work with large-diameter bars. Ironmind.com have alot of nice stuff.........
Matheen

Postby hsingh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:00 am

Have you guys heard of the powerball? That could also help with forearm strength.

Being a computer geek, I spend a lot of time on one, I had started to develop RSI on my thumb especially. It was getting painful, after using this powerball just the first time I noticed a difference. So it can be used for rehabilitation (at low rpms) and for strength (at high rpms)
hsingh

Postby Gagan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:14 am

yeah they are good to a point, i used my little cousins for a while, you do feel the burn, but to get the same feel and workout you have to use it twice as long. But yeah good fun, took me ages to get use to it.

Yeah its good to have around when your working at your desk. They do make some noise, so if your working in a open office :S.
Gagan

Postby huatin » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:54 am

There are exercises that target wrists. There are spring grips you can squeeze all day to help as well. When you , especially upper body, you increase wrist strength simultaneously
huatin

---------

Return to Strength Hypertrophy Muscle & Mass