Flexibility - When to stretch

Every other type of training here, including stretching, different training styles.

Flexibility - When to stretch

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:34 pm

When is stretching most effective?
This is a question sports physiologists are examining with greater interest, especially since an Australian study published last year in the Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine found that stretching before exercise does not appear to prevent muscle injuries.

The idea of stretching before and after physical activity is based primarily on tradition and common sense. However, the latest research suggests that it is more important to perform an "active" warm-up before exercise and leave the stretching until after the workout.

It's well documented that stretching plays a role in rehabilitation from injury. It is also widely accepted that stretching improves athletic performance by increasing the range of motion of joints. A greater range of motion means you are less likely to become injured when over-extending your body during competition or tough workouts.

Flexibility is still one of the key measures of fitness along with strength and cardiovascular endurance, so don't neglect this important component. However, the warm-up should focus on the specific movements you're about to perform. Follow a thorough stretching routine after physical activity.

Ref: Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 32:271-277. 2001
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Re: Flexibility - When to stretch

Postby 5oldier5ingh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 am

Does anyone have a good flexibility routine they can post on here. All of the stretches and how long to hold it, i am looking for something to make me as flexible as the people who do circus acts, lol. I need alot of flexiblity to fulfill my goals. Please, i thank you in advanced.
5oldier5ingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:10 am

5oldier5ingh wrote:Does anyone have a good flexibility routine they can post on here. All of the stretches and how long to hold it, i am looking for something to make me as flexible as the people who do circus acts, lol. I need alot of flexiblity to fulfill my goals. Please, i thank you in advanced.

Why would you need to become that flexible? Circus acts are usually have unstable joints and hypermobility that is not necessarily ideal. Although flexibility is great, those who have the most flexibility normally have a coach or partner to help.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby Canuck Singh » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:40 am

Jumping plays a major role in dynamic sports in some way or another. Virtually every athlete involved in competitive sport will, at some stage, undergo a fitness assessment and some type of jump test is usually on the assessment list.

A good score for an athlete could catch the attention of a talent scout or it could mean selection in a major league draft. Therefore, doing the best they can in a jump test is an important part of any athletes career.

Prior to assessment, most athletes stretch their muscles in anticipation of this explosive activity. However, in doing so, they maybe making a big mistake.

A recent study has shown that stretching prior to jumping will impair performance.

Researchers from the University of Kassel in Germany investigated the effects of stretching on various jumping performance tests such as the drop jump, counter-movement jump, and squat jump.

Stretching was performed at various intensities prior to the jump tests. Regardless of the type of stretching involved, the data showed that all stretching protocols resulted in a significant decrease in jumping performance. For example, static stretching resulted in a significant decrease in performance in all tests by 5%. That could be the difference between making the team or being cut.

The bottom line is, for best performance the warm up should consist of sports specific movements and activities, leave the stretching for later.

Source: European Journal of Applied Physiology, Sept, 2007.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby 5oldier5ingh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:54 pm

i was actually exaggerating with the circus act thing but i meant to ask if anyone does follow a certain routine or can post one here, a personal trainer is out of my budget. Just something to do when i wake up, well after nitnem, something to do before i go sleep, well before Kirtan sohilla sahib.
5oldier5ingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 pm

5oldier5ingh wrote:i was actually exaggerating with the circus act thing but i meant to ask if anyone does follow a certain routine or can post one here, a personal trainer is out of my budget. Just something to do when i wake up, well after nitnem, something to do before i go sleep, well before Kirtan sohilla sahib.

Hmm... no problem, if you can give me some time perhaps I can piece something together :)
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby 5oldier5ingh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:13 pm

thank you so much.

Khalsa Ji, i have to say, you are doing a great seva for the panth, even with the nutritional information, everything is so good, u are doing a mahaan seva for us exercise enthusiasts. Thank You very much.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fathe
5oldier5ingh

Postby Canuck Singh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:45 am

In regards to a flexibility plan, I think the following would be helpful: All 2 sets, x 10 second holds to begin with,

For Chest:
- Lying on a bench, get a relatively light weight, and bring the DB's down into the start position. From here, move the DB's away from your body as if doing a flye movement, and hold that stretch.
- Holding cables from the high level of a cable pulley machine. Place weight on a decent level, and walk forward with your arms behind you. This will stretch the chest.

For Quads:
- There is nothing better than just the plain on hold the foot behind the glutes stretch.
- Alternatively you can also target the inner quads, by holding the right leg with the left hand behind the back.

For Deltoids:
- This one is a bit tough. You need a long dowel stick. And placing it behind you hold it with your hands, palms facing backward. You need someone to help you raise the dowel stick behind you, while you maintain an upright position. Be careful this one is tough.

For Biceps:
- Do the same as above for deltoids, except position your hands the other way.

For Splits:
- There is nothing better than getting a nice quality split, but that is for later. Right now start with a squat position, and let one leg move out to the side. And do a Unilateral adductor stretch. This will give you better control on stretching these muscles without risking injury.

For back and hamstrings:
- Normally it is ideal to just stand and touch your feet, but this is better done one leg at a time to also stretch your TFL. So cross one leg over the other, and then touch your foot, be careful to keep your balance.

For calves
- There is nothing better than just hanging your heel off the edge of a step or stairs. Make sure knee is fully straight.

For Triceps:
- Begin with bending your elbow above your head. Now the idea is to push your arm into a wall, a doorway works best. So you are pushing your triceps into a wall to stretch the triceps.

These are a good place to start. It is difficult to tell if there are any restrictions without actually seeing your posture and limitations, but nonetheless this is a good way to start and then progression can come slowly

Everyone would do good to try these themselves.
Canuck Singh
Site Admin

Postby mmafitness » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 am

You can follow the below to increase flexibility and freedom of movement

* Hold stretch for 10-20sec - DO NOT BOUNCE
* Repeat each stretch 2-3 times
* Stretch gently and slowly, keep breathing
* Stretch to the point of tension - NEVER PAIN

Select the major muscle groups used in your sport and stretch them through their full range of movement entire stretching session should take 15-20 minutes. To increase or maintain flexibility and muscle suppleness, 20 minutes stretching session 2-3 times per week is recommended.

mma fitness

mmafitness

Postby Renfred » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

Canuck Singh wrote:When is stretching most effective?
This is a question sports physiologists are examining with greater interest, especially since an Australian study published last year in the Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine found that stretching before exercise does not appear to prevent muscle injuries.

The idea of stretching before and after physical activity is based primarily on tradition and common sense. However, the latest research suggests that it is more important to perform an "active" warm-up before exercise and leave the stretching until after the workout.

It's well documented that stretching plays a role in rehabilitation from injury. It is also widely accepted that stretching improves athletic performance by increasing the range of motion of joints. A greater range of motion means you are less likely to become injured when over-extending your body during competition or tough workouts.

Flexibility is still one of the key measures of fitness along with strength and cardiovascular endurance, so don't neglect this important component. However, the warm-up should focus on the specific movements you're about to perform. Follow a thorough stretching routine after physical activity.

Ref: Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise 32:271-277. 2001

Hello dear, Yes you are true that flexibility is much essential for the athlete to perform well in any field. And also in daily routine life you must have some physical fitness and flexibility in your body to do your daily works by moving your body....
Renfred

Postby coucouza » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:40 pm

the best moment for streathing is the morning. the first 30 minutes after waking :shock:
coucouza

Postby MarkHerry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 am

mmafitness wrote:You can follow the below to increase flexibility and freedom of movement

* Hold stretch for 10-20sec - DO NOT BOUNCE
* Repeat each stretch 2-3 times
* Stretch gently and slowly, keep breathing
* Stretch to the point of tension - NEVER PAIN

Select the major muscle groups used in your sport and stretch them through their full range of movement entire stretching session should take 15-20 minutes. To increase or maintain flexibility and muscle suppleness, 20 minutes stretching session 2-3 times per week is recommended.

I like the routine you shared with us. I like to hear more from you. I will repeat the same and will let you know the results. Thanks

| |
MarkHerry

---------

Return to Fitness Training - Flexibility Plyometrics & MMA